updated: June 2013 back to GHEH home 
What is a TFE? It's government wording for Temporary Food Establishment. A Temporary Food Establishment is associated with a gathering such as a carnival, circus, fair or other sponsored events.

We use these regulations very frequently from early Spring to late Fall of each year. In a year's time, we'll issue about 200 permits, with the largest one-time event being the homecoming football game at one of our Universities.

Here's a short list of Key Requirements for a Vendor of a Temporary Food Establishment:
  • Enclosure: No outdoor cooking or handling of open food product is allowed. All unpackaged foods must be stored, handled, prepared and cooked inside an approved enclosure. Enclosures (trailers, tents and booths) must be screened or glassed-in on all four sides. A 24" pass-through window can be provided for serving food to customers.
  • Handwashing: An approved handwashing facility must be provided inside the enclosure. At least a two gallon closed container of potable water, equipped with a cutoff valve and a bucket to catch wastewater must be provided and used. A pump soap dispenser filled with anti-bacterial soap and single-use paper towels are required.
  • Food Protection: All food items must be from an approved source and be stored in the original packaging materials. No home processing or handling of food is permitted. Potentially hazardous foods such as potato, ham or chicken salads cannot be sold. Potentially hazardous foods such as fish, chicken and barbecue cannot be sold without written permission. All ice must be from an approved source. A complete menu must accompany your application. Adequate refrigerators and freezers with accurate thermometers must be provided. Ice, freeze packs and ice chests are not permitted to refrigerate foods.
  • Clean and Sanitary Equipment: All equipment and utensils must be clean and sanitized as needed. Household bleach and a spray bottle should be provided for sanitizing equipment and utensils. A sink with at least a single drainboard or counter top space with water under pressure shall be provided. A means for providing hot water for cleaning equipment and utensils is needed.
  • Permit: A Temporary Food Establishment permit must be obtained from this Department before regulated foods can be prepared or sold. Operational Permits will be issued as soon as an inspection of your facility determines that it's in compliance with the Regulations and pre-approved menu.
Ask Us before the Event in order to appraise us of your particular situation.
Aggie Fest:

Your Health Department Plan Review approval, along with the City of Greensboro Pavilion Vendor application and Vendor waiver, must be submitted to the City of Greensboro Collections Division.

Read more about it from the City of Greensboro. This webpage has some very important information such as the times and dates for setup, operating and takedown as well as the City's Vendor application and Vendor Release.

Look below to download and complete the Health Department's vendor application for Plan Review and approval.
Sponsor Application
(PDF format)
Vendor Application
(PDF format)
  1203 Maple Street, Greensboro, North Carolina 27405 | t:336.641.3771 |  f:336.641.4812